With help from our wonderful volunteers, were able to accomplish the following:
- 4,674 hours of volunteer work across the Los Cerritos Wetlands, Colorado Lagoon, and Huntington Beach Wetlands
- 2,300 volunteers participated in our 52 restoration events across these sites and provided over $110,000 in in-kind services
- Removed 2,200 lbs. of trash and nearly 14,000 lbs. of nonnative plant material
- Propagated 3,835 native plants
- Installed 3,305 native plants
We could not have accomplished this all without your help and want to sincerely thank you for your commitment to wetlands restoration!
Additionally, our team accomplished the following:
- Hosted 45 field trips, engaging almost 1,700 students (including the entire student body of Fremont Elementary School, and over 500 kids from the Boys and Girls Clubs and YMCA’s of Long Beach)
- Mapped occurrences of the endangered salt marsh bird’s beak (Chloropyron maritimum ssp. maritimum) at 6 different salt marshes throughout Southern California
- Collected over 30,000 salt marsh bird’s beak seeds to be spread at the Huntington Beach Wetlands in hopes of establishing more populations of the species
- Acted as the catalyst for a project that will lead to the acquisition of 154 acres of wetland habitat in a highly urban setting
- Managed 176 acres of wetlands habitat
- Grew almost 80,000 Southern Tarplant (Centromadia parryi ssp. australis) individuals in a 1.7-acre restoration site
- Applied 1150 lbs. of hydromulch containing countless native seeds to numerous habitat areas
- Restored a tidal wetland in Marina Del Rey, installing over 2,000 plants, creating a thriving habitat in what was once a vacant lot
- Collected nearly 35 lbs of native seed from 17 different plant species at Point Dume State Park
- Performed surveys for 5 different special status plant and animal species
- Successfully applied to and acquired over $380,000 in competitive grant funding for our clients to continue doing the great work that they do.
We had a very exciting 2018 and look forward to a productive and fulfilling 2019. We wish you the same!